I love talking with new believers in Christ. I get the privilege to meet regularly with new Christians, and hear how and when Christ became real in their lives. And then I love to see those same people make their public profession of faith by being baptized. I hear the following statement from one or more people almost every time we have a baptism: “I feel like I just got a fresh start.” Evidently, a lot of people would like to have a fresh start in life. They think, “I’ve blown it, I’ve messed up, I’ve really made a mess of things in my life. I’d like a fresh start.”
Jesus is in the business of giving people a fresh start. The apostle Peter says, “Because Jesus was raised from the dead, we’ve been given a brand-new life and have everything to live for, including a future in heaven” (1 Peter 1:3-4 MSG).
Several things happen once you give your life to Christ:
- You open your life to God and get to know him.
- You’re given a brand-new life, which gives you everything to live for.
- You get a future in Heaven.
What a deal! Let’s summarize it like this: You are forgiven for your past, you are giving a fresh new start in your present, and you get a future in Heaven.
“Everything that we have — right thinking and right living, a clean slate and a fresh start — comes from God by way of Jesus Christ” (1 Corinthians 1:30).
Something to reflect upon…
- How does your life differ from what it was like before you became a Christian?
- What should a fresh start with Jesus look like in your life?
- Who in your life needs to hear the Good News that Jesus gives a fresh start? How can you reach out to that person?